Combating Climate Change (CCC) Project
Melharmony Foundation is deeply committed to create and make music socially relevant and one of its primary objectives in this direction is the CCC (Combating Climate Change) Project. To this end, the Foundation has teamed up with the University of Wisconsin (UW) and is in the process of establishing strategic partnerships with other organisations. The Melharmony Festival of 2017 in Madison will be the first of a series of events dedicated to raise awareness and funds for the CCC project. Surplus revenues from donations will be used to set up Micro Grids using Solar and other types of renewable energy in impoverished communities in developing countries in Asia, Africa, South America and other parts of the world.
Primary Goal - Micro Grids
The Foundation's focus is only to raise funds and hand it over to organisations of impeccable standing such as UW so that the implementation of the project is handled only by specialists in the field, benefiting communities as a whole.
The tentative costs to set up Micro Grids per household is between $350-400 and for a community of 100 homes is about $35,000-40,000. The Foundation requests individuals to adopt at least one household each and for Corporate houses to adopt one community of 100 households. There are options to adopt partial communities as well. It is envisaged that the maintenance and running costs of these Micro Grids will be the responsibility of the communities themselves. For more details on costs, please email us.
Other goals and action plans
The CCC project also aims to educate decision makers as well as the rest of the people about the urgency for a highly proactive approach from every front to reduce and/or eliminate dependence on fossil fuels and take every possible step to use alternate energy sources. The Foundation aims to act in various ways - some symbolic and some proactive to counter climate change. The Foundation's action plans include (but are not limited to) the following:
- Competitions for Composers and students to create new music designed to raise awareness on Climate Change.
- Get artists from every part of the world to be Ambassadors of Planet Earth and persuade them to talk about this for at least 2 minutes in every concert of theirs.
- Organise events to raise awareness as well as funds for CCC.
- Collaborate with field leaders and research organisations in this arena to help them spread their findings through complementary events.
- Collaborate with like minded NGOs and international bodies including the UN
- Enlist the future inheritors of the planet - namely student bodies, orchestras, jazz bands and ensembles to participate in events aimed to be powerful voices for CCC.
- Collaborate with professional symphonies and noted ensembles across the world to present specialised events highlighting the Climate issues.